This tutorial is about fixing “USB device format error” in Windows. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog Fix ‘USB Device Format Error’ in Windows. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check Fix ‘USB device format error’ in Windows
Universal Serial Bus (USB) is an industry standard that establishes specifications for cables, connectors, and connection, communication, and power (interface) protocols between computers, peripherals, and other computers. There is a wide variety of USB hardware, including 14 different types of connectors. , of which USB-C is the newest. First published in 1996, USB standards are maintained by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF). There are four generations of USB: USB 1.x, USB 2.0, USB 3.x and USB4.
Steps to Fix USB Drive Not Formatted Error
To repair a corrupted or RAW drive that throws USB drive not formatted error, follow these steps:
Inspect USB storage media
- Disconnect your USB drive from your PC.
- Press Windows + X and click Disk Management.
- Now plug in your external USB drive and click “Cancel” if the formatting message appears.
- Check the partition of your USB key, if a drive letter is assigned to it. Alternatively, right-click on the USB drive partition and select “Change drive letter and paths…”.
- Choose and assign a drive letter and press ‘OK’. Minimize the Disk Management tool.
Run CHKDSK scan
CHKDSK is a command line utility that helps repair drive errors and damaged or corrupted Windows compatible media by repairing the file system. It also marks bad sectors to prevent the operating system from storing files on those sectors. To run CHKDSK scan, follow these steps,
- Press Windows + S and type cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- Now type the following command and hit the “Enter” key
- Chkdsk /r /f X:
- Where X is the letter of the USB key
- If the scan starts, let it finish. The scan may take some time depending on the type, size and interface of your USB flash drive.
- Once done, unplug the USB drive and plug it back in. Open File Explorer and try to access it.
- If you still see the formatting message, proceed to the next final step.
Recover Data and Format USB Flash Drive
When a USB drive is severely damaged, it cannot be repaired with CHKDSK or Windows Error Checking Tool. In such cases, you need to format the drive to make it accessible. But before formatting, follow these steps to recover your inaccessible data from corrupted USB drive,
- Download, install and run Stellar Data Recovery Professional software.
- Click on ‘All data’ and then on ‘Next’.
- Select the volume on your USB flash drive listed under “Connected drives” and enable the “Deep scan” toggle switch at the bottom left and click “Scan”.
- After scanning, click “File Type” on the left panel to sort the files according to their file type.
- Click a file to preview it, then click the file’s checkbox to select it for recovery.
- Click “Recover”, then click the “Browse” button to choose a save location.
- Finally, click “Start Saving” to save your recovered files to your desired location on your PC.
Final Words: Fix “USB Device Format Error” in Windows
I hope you understand this article Fix ‘USB Device Format Error’ in Windows, if your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your family and friends.